Here's a fun fact for you: According to Wikipedia, "The fear of the number 13 has been given a scientific name: 'triskaidekaphobia'; and on analogy to this the fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia." Further, in Spanish-speaking countries, it is Tuesday the 13th that is considered unlucky, and Friday the 17th is unlucky in Italy. The moral of the story is that superstitions such as "unlucky" days are silly and unsubstantiated, especially from a biblical viewpoint.
How superstitious are you? Are you superstitious? I hope you aren't, because as Christians, we know that there's no such thing as "luck," good or bad; rather, there is divine providence. Regardless of how it appears from our fallible, limited perspective, divine providence is always good, because it is the working out of God's perfect will by God Himself. That great doctrine of sovereignty ought to bring us great comfort in all circumstances.
What do we do with Friday the 13th, then? Grab your black cat (if you have one), and give it a snuggle. Run, don't walk, under that ladder. Embrace that broken mirror in all of its funhouse-like attributes. Yes, defy Friday the 13th, because it is just another day on the calendar.
Not only is it another day, but the best part is that it is Friday, which means you get to enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- Even shepherds need shepherding.
- Some interesting thoughts on worship, particularly as it pertains to the musical portion of a Sunday service.
- Wow, has it been 20 years already?
- So, a woman dressed like a man is going to have a baby. How is that news?
- Here is your weekly dose of adorable.
- Eh, who really needs a quiet time anyway?
- No one throws a Hail Mary quite like Aaron Rodgers.
- John Sailhamer passed away this week. Here's Dr. William Varner's review of Sailhamer's final work, The Meaning of the Pentateuch.
- Apparently Ben Franklin had a Calvinist sister.
- A little tutorial on how to avoid interpreting verses out of context.
- John MacArthur on enduring in ministry.
- I'm kind of glad I don't live in Indiana anymore.
- More cars are now being recalled in the massive Takata airbag recall. If your car is included, I urge you to take the appropriate action. This recall has affected nearly every automaker and spans across years. If your airbag is defective, it could be fatal!
- I find this hilarious (HT to Phil Johnson for this one).
- Christ came into the world to save sinners: