While I have long been a baseball fan, the truth is, I never cared about baseball in October. That's because my team, the Chicago Cubs, rarely played ball in October. Let's face it, for years (and years, and years), the Cubs lost all hope of October as early in the season as possible.
|Source: Wikimedia Commons|
So tonight is Game 3 of the World Series. Right now the series is tied, with Chicago and Cleveland each having won one game. As I write this, I'm pondering the appropriateness of donning Cubs gear at the office. It is Friday, after all.
As for the theological significance of the situation, well, there isn't any, unless I wanted to mutilate a few doctrines and liken Chicago's years of failure with someone trapped in a besetting sin and the grace of God to save even the worst of sinners. Such a comparison strikes me as a bit blasphemous, though, so let's not even entertain the thought. Instead, let's just enjoy the baseball moment. Go, Cubs, Go!
Further, let us simply thank the Lord for another Friday, the introduction to a weekend of rest for many. As you prepare to "Fly the W," why not also take some time to enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- Here's a bit more background on this unique World Series.
- That's not Jesus calling.
- On the doctrine of Scripture.
- Good grief, leave Highlights alone!
- I love La Jolla.
- This would be a fantastic job...if it didn't require working for an organization with aberrant theology.
- It seems to me this article should have a subtitle: "Duh."
- Dear Rick Warren...no.
- I can't believe they're killing this, just as mine is dying and I was looking at having to replace it.
- Here's your weekly dose of adorable (to the reader who sent me this, yes, you win! But I lost your name, so leave a comment and identify yourself!).
- Dear Kirk Cameron...a thousand times, no.
- Jen Hatmaker is a fairly influential name among evangelical women. In this interview, she doesn't just tip her hand, she lays all the cards on the table and, unsurprisingly, they boldly reveal her ignorance of and disdain for the Word of God.
- How healthy is the women's ministry in your church? Looking beyond babies and baking, Melissa Kruger offers some compelling points in this article.
- Well, as long as the Vatican says so.
- Please tell me nobody is surprised by this. How much did this "study" cost?
- What does it mean to fear God?
- Jesus is God: