The local area awoke to one such storm early yesterday morning. Lightning filled the room and thunder boomed like the voice of Goliath. Storms like this demonstrate immense and intense power. They remind us fragile humans just how vulnerable and powerless we really are.
They ought also remind us that there is One who is greater than the elements. The One who created the rain and the thunder and the lightning is the One who controls it. Every flash and every flood is perfectly designed and sovereignly controlled by God, and not just God the Father, but God the Son.
When He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being covered with the waves; but Jesus Himself was asleep. And they came to Him and woke Him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing!” He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm. The men were amazed, and said, “What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?” (Matthew 8:23-27)This story is recorded for us in all three of the synoptic gospels, emphasizing that there are great and important truths contained in this account that all of God's people must know, understand, and treasure. Among these truths is the fact that Jesus Christ is God. By Him all things were created (Colossians 1:16), and He thus designs, ordains, and upholds all things (Hebrews 1:3). Who is this, that even the wind and sea obey Him? This is Jesus Christ, Lord of all.
It's wonderfully refreshing to reflect on Christ and who He is, isn't it? Well, the following links won't offer you the same edification that the Word will provide, but nevertheless, I hope you'll take some time to enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- Oy. I have a terrifying feeling that someday soon I'll walk into a coffee shop and see a slew of women in their 30s and 40s dressed like this and coloring in their Lisa Frank coloring books.
- Here's Grace to You's newest free offer.
- Hm, and my alma mater wonders why I ignore their fundraising phone calls. Maybe I'm not interested in funneling more money into this type of institution.
- Wow, it would be such a breakthrough if this Alzheimer's treatment works like they think it does!
- Here's your weekly dose of adorable.
- On the book of Nahum.
- Some online Bible study resources.
- What did Jesus mean when He said, "I Am the door"?
- Do you know your Puritans? Here's a bit on John Owen.
- Great idea, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to be implemented.
- I agree with some of these thoughts on controversy.
- How does the Spirit work through Scripture?
- Here today, gone tomorrow:
V19-039 - Here Today, Gone Tomorrow (Psalm 39) Don Green from The Truth Pulpit on Vimeo.