|Don't discard your headphones, use them!|
I experienced just such an evening not long ago. It was peaceful, until I started to hear a faint sound of drums. My thinking went something like this: "Wait, is that music? Those kids better not be starting in with blasting music! If that's the case, I am walking over there to talk to those parents. Wait, it's not the kids. It's getting louder. Oh look, someone is walking in the dark. Oh. She is walking while listening to music on her phone...without headphones. Wait, I know this song. Ugh, it's that Bon Jovi beat, "Livin' on a Prayer." Great, now that will be stuck in my head for days. I hope she enjoyed her walk."
So tell me—in an age of personal devices, all of which are sold with their own pair of headphones, why are people not using headphones? It's weird. I do not understand. I'm pretty sure if I walked up and down the street blasting hymns someone would get annoyed. Hmm...maybe that would be a fun experiment.
While I ponder that, why don't you take some time to enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- No link for this one, just a note to email subscribers that yes, I am aware that yesterday the subscription service randomly sent out a post from this past April. No, I have no idea why. Just go with it and enjoy the hymn (again)!
- Jonathan Merritt and I would disagree on much. We would even disagree on the approach he takes in this article discussing some of the problems he sees with The Gospel Coalition, specifically how they manage their social media accounts. We can agree on this, however—TGC freely exercises a multitude of blocking maneuvers.
- I so appreciate Debbie Lynne's thoughts on exploiting scandal and claiming discernment. And can I hear a resounding "Amen" to her last paragraph?
- God "is not an amusement park ride."
- Because I thought you should know.
- Mike Riccardi on suffering well.
- Don't miss this sale at Grace to You!
- Here's your weekly dose of adorable.
- I find this headline hilarious.
- This was an interesting read about a massive monument that's been newly discovered in Petra (thanks, Elizabeth!).
- The condemnation in God's love.
- The church on bended knee: