If you will let go of the hurts and pains and get on God's payroll, God will settle your case. He will make your wrongs right. He will bring justice into your life. You will get what you deserve, and God will pay you back with double the joy, double the peace, double the favor, and double the victory. (Joel Osteen, Daily Readings from Every Day a Friday: 90 Devotions to be Happier 7 Days a Week, New York: Faith Words, 2012, p. 112)So let me get this straight: God is both my employer and my lawyer? Or are we mixing metaphors? Also, if I am going to get what I deserve, I am in trouble because I, like every other person, am a sinner who is wholly deserving of God's eternal wrath and condemnation.
Do you see now why I'm feeling a little snarky? Drivel like this makes me a bit agitated. Oh well, it truly is Friday, after all, so why not push all these nonsensical Osteen-isms out of your mind and instead enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- So, David Bowie died this week and for some reason, The Christian Post thinks it's important for us to know that he once "experimented" with Christianity. I do not know what that is supposed to look like.
- This article also popped up at the Baptist News website, and I am having difficulty understanding how or why this was published. For example, how is any true Christian supposed to seriously consider the following statement? "Despite Bowie’s brand of suggestive visuals and content, churches have a lot to learn from this cultural icon." Really? The point of the article: Bowie was relevant so churches ought to listen up. So much for 2 Timothy 4:2, huh?
- Can we please stop lending any credibility to Anne Graham Lotz? Not only does she deliberately disobey Scripture by teaching men, but her theology is...wonky, and in several places. Now she's praying in circles. Oh well, maybe she'll get dizzy and will have to stop preaching for awhile.
- Here's your weekly dose of adorable.
- And speaking of Don Green, here's a wonderful message from Psalm 90 on renewing your mind in the new year.
- The Pope thinks all religions meet God in different ways. Wow. Color me...completely and utterly unsurprised.
- Killing sin by the power of the spirit.
- This might be cool.
- I just...don't...have words.
- Oh, this article is so, so good: "The Sin that Became an Evangelistic Technique."
- How to listen to the Lord: