Yesterday I walked down to my mailbox to find only one lonely item: the latest catalog for Family Christian Store (FCS). Really? This is disappointing because every time I visit my local FCS, I'm treated poorly and left wondering if they even bother to hire people who at least profess Christ. Add to that the abysmal resources offered by this store and, well, you get the idea. I'm not a fan.
A few more pages in and you find some Roman Catholic resources. I mean, really, the "Christian" store is selling rosaries? Perhaps they ought to consider a name change.
I won't even get started on the books except to say that, upon a quick glance, I only saw one redeeming one, and that was MacArthur's Twelve Unlikely Heroes. Unfortunately, it's surrounded by Perry Stone, David Jeremiah, Charles Stanley, John Ortberg, Max Lucado and Wayne Cordeiro, among others. Apparently FCS's "Book of the Year" is Sarah Young's mystical and occult-esque Jesus Calling. Ah, don't you feel that your soul is safe just walking into this store?
Okay, as you struggle to find some item on which to spend your FCS 25% off coupon, please enjoy your week in review (kind of):
- Make sure you're checking the home page of The Elephant's Debt for updates to the situation at Harvest Bible Chapel.
- I appreciate that Victoria Jackson takes a strong stand for what she believes, but I wish she'd work on her approach to apologetics. "Because that would make God mad" is not a convincing argument for those who hate Him.
- God's design and care for His creation is astounding. Tell me again how that chance evolution thing works?
- Did you hear about the D'Souza debacle?
- Carl Trueman points out a seemingly ignored aspect of this controversy.
- Is it just me, or does the Virgin Mary always show up in New Jersey? Anybody else wondering why she's being punished like that?
- So, Oprah invites "America's pastors" Osteen and Warren onto her show, Lifeclass, then days later an interview is released revealing that she is inspired by Sufism. Hm. I wonder if Rick Warren is regretting affirming Oprah in her damning beliefs in a false god?
- Sorry, Mr. Biden, but an abortion is not the same thing as an operation.
- In Scotland, girls as young as 13 are being given the morning-after pill without parents' knowledge.
- Closet Calvinist reviews Dan Phillips' The World-Tilting Gospel.
- This Christianity Today article on 50 Christian Women You Should Know maybe should read, 50 professing Christian women you should know because, let's face it, there are quite a few dangerous teachers on that list.
- This man is...well, not wise.
- Parents, I hope you don't let your children watch Nickelodeon, but in case you do, here's another reason to reconsider.
- By now we all know that the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association quickly scrubbed the reference to Mormonism being a cult immediately following Graham's meeting with Mitt Romney. Ken Silva was among the first to report this when it happened, and now he reminds us that Billy Graham has been compromised for years.
- Pastor Mike Abendroth of Bethlehem Bible Church and No Compromise Radio preaches on 1 Corinthians 15, discussing resurrection and that passage about baptism for the dead.
- Al Mohler opines about babies and beans.
- Oh, no, it's not at all concerning that Hillary Clinton thinks she talks to dead people.
- I love Legos, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. Still, if nothing else, I have to commend this guy for his time, patience and creativity!
- This is a great story (except for the fact that a 12 year old has a Facebook page). Parents, be involved in your children's lives—and make sure you know what they're doing on the internet!
- I know a lot of Christians like to say we have liberty when it comes to celebrating things like Halloween, but I have a really good reason why we shouldn't.
- It was a sad week as charges were filed against C.J. Mahaney's Sovereign Grace Ministries for covering up instances of child abuse. Some 14,500 pages of files on the Boy Scouts covering up abuse also were released. Perversion abounds in this country, even in the "safest" of corners. How twisted man must be to think that it is more important to protect an abuser, and a group's image, than to protect our innocent children!
- Reformation 21 has a short bio on Matthew Henry.
- Billy Graham: The Man and His Message