- Tony Blair. This man, a recent Catholic convert, is quite possibly the world's greatest proponent of globalism today. Through the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, he is striving not only for a world religion, but also world government, and world peace (hello, Bible prophecy!). You can see a recent interview Gumbel did with Blair here. Interestingly, Blair is being heavily touted as the front runner to become the first permanent president of the EU. That decision will be made this week, on November 19.
- Rick Warren. "America's [apostate] Pastor" has heavily endorsed Gumbel's Alpha Course. Also interesting? Warren holds a seat on the Religious Advisory Council for Blair's Faith Foundation (a council that is made up of multiple religions, further proving that global religion is the goal!).
- Bill Hybels. We all know how I feel about Bill Hybels and his seeker-sensitive Willow Creek Church! Remember, I speak from personal experience when it comes to Willow Creek and I can say with certainty that it is a church focused on the social gospel, not the Lord's gospel. There is no conviction coming from the pulpit. In fact, there is no pulpit! There is a stage and they put on a show. That's it. Hybels offers his praise to the deceptive course in saying, "Alpha is one of the best known evangelistic programs in the world. I don't think anyone rejoices more in its effectiveness than I do." Online Source.
- Tony Campolo. Oh, where do I begin?! I'll keep this brief and say that Campolo is one of the leaders of the Emerging Church movement. You can find multiple articles about him at Apprising Ministries. Campolo says about Alpha, "The Alpha Course is intelligent, biblically based, and incredibly interesting....For the inquiring mind, there is nothing better around the world than the Alpha course." Online Source. Now, if Tony Campolo thinks that the Alpha Course is Biblically based, then we have a problem, because Campolo himself has difficulty properly understand God's Word!
- Dr. Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury. His words about Alpha? "What Alpha has to offer is a unique mixture of Christian content and Christian style. I recommend it...as a very special tool of evangelism." Online Source. What does this even mean? "Christian content and Christian style?" Remember, Williams is an Anglican bishop...hopefully that will clear things up! Oh, and Williams is also a buddy of Blair and his Faith Foundation.
- Joel Hunter. Ah, yes, Joel Hunter. He leads a mega church in the Orlando area, Northland, A Church Distributed. You can read more about Northland's efforts with Alpha in my article, Alpha Exposed: Part 2b. The 2009 Alpha National Conference was held at Northland. But why does any of this matter? Joel Hunter is considered one of Barack Obama's "Faith Leaders"! Well, we're sitting under the most anti-Christian administration in our country's history, so apparently Hunter isn't having much influence. Or, could it be that Hunter is just as liberal in his values as our president? This article indicates that Hunter, among other things, holds little if any pro-life view. Forgive me, but I desperately fail to see how one can claim to be a Christian and not uphold the sanctity of an innocent unborn human life. Hunter is even such a friend of liberals that he was invited to give the prayer at the 2008 Democratic National Convention. So tell me, if Gumbel decided to hold his national Alpha Conference at Hunter's church, doesn't one naturally assume that the two men share similar ideals and beliefs? Yeah, I thought so...
Finally, let me acknowledge that I have taken the time to listen to some of Gumbel's "sermons" that he has preached at Holy Trinity Brompton. While he failed to quote the Bible more than once or twice (and then took Scripture grossly out of context), he found time to often quotemen like Emergent Church leader Rob Bell and, even better, found multiple instances where he could quote Barack Obama. Gumbel preaches a social gospel and fails to preach the TRUE gospel. Are Christians called to feed the poor, etc? Absolutely. But if I fail to also share the good news of Jesus Christ crucified and resurrected for the forgiveness of sins, then all I have done is helped send someone to Hell with a full stomach. Our first call as Christians is not to end poverty, sickness, "global warming" and the like. Our first duty as Christians is to proclaim the Gospel. And I fear that Nicky Gumbel has misunderstood that call.
In the end, all false teachings are interconnected in one big deceptive web. One of the biggest connectors is the practice of contemplative prayer, encouraging people to empty their minds and respond to their emotions and the supposed voice of God that they may hear. This is the perfect opportunity for the Enemy and his minions to enter in and take over. For further illustration, see the picture below. It can also be accessed within the Bayith Ministries article, The Dragnet Behind Alpha, Vineyard, ‘Purpose-Driven’, ‘Toronto’ etc.